Vein Problems & Disorders in Atlanta, GA & Birmingham, AL
Vein problems are common in the U.S. and around the world. By age 50, nearly 40% of ladies and 20% of men have some type of significant vein disorder. Leg pain, swelling, bulging varicosities, and ulcers caused by vein insufficiency are common reasons our patients suffer and lose time from work. Spider veins are often unsightly as well as uncomfortable, and prevent many of our patients from wearing shorts or bathing suits.
Before Vein Treatment
After Vein Treatment
Vein disorders are manifested in a variety of ways:
- Varicose veins are large, blue, ropy structures which bulge in the skin and are often unsightly as well as painful.
- Spider veins are small blood vessels in the skin, either blue or red, and often arranged in clusters or branches.
- Stasis dermatitis is the red or brown skin color change around the ankle and lower leg, caused by chronic venous stasis. Iron pigment from blood is responsible for the darker skin tattoo appearance.
- Venous ulcers develop on the inside of the ankle most commonly, but sometimes on the outside as well. These ulcers are very painful, and are due to abnormal leaking veins in the legs.
- Many patients suffer leg pain and swelling from chronic leg vein congestion. This too is caused by abnormal leaking veins of the legs. Correction of the problem relieves pain and swelling within one to two months.
- Some patients with vein insufficiency suffer night time leg cramps and restless leg syndrome. Once the leg veins are corrected, one-third of patients are completely relieved of these symptoms.
Who can be Treated?
All patients with symptomatic vein insufficiency can be treated, almost regardless of age. We have treated patients as young as 16 and as old as 95. Most patients suffer from varicose veins, leg pain and swelling, restless legs, numerous painful superficial veins, and some suffer from very painful vein stasis ulcers. Surprisingly, many patients and their doctors are not aware that underlying vein incompetency is the reason patients are suffering from leg pain, heavy legs, and swelling.
In the past, patients on blood thinners could not be treated. Dr. Kingsley determined a method to treat even these difficult patients, so that many patients taking anticoagulants can now be treated in our Vein Centers. Patients with acute phlebitis are treated as an emergent-urgent situaion, avoiding the need for long term blood thinners. Some patients with deep vein abnormalities are thought not to be candidates for treatment, but Dr. Kingsley determined that even most of these patients can be successfully treated.
The treatment process starts with diagnosis of the patient's vein abnormalities, which requires special expertise. A well-trained vascular ultrasonographer must perform the diagnostic ultrasound evaluation of every major leg vein in our patients. Our sonographers have many years of experience and are able to identify the cause of vein incompetence in all of our patients. Our doctors perform the physical examinations, and then correlate symptoms, physical examination findings, and the ultrasound analysis to make the proper diagnosis and treatment recommendations.
Vein Problems in Atlanta, GA & Birmingham, AL
For more information about your options with vein problems in Atlanta, GA or Birmingham, AL contact Alabama Vascular & Vein Center at 877.268.Vein or email us to schedule a consultation.